FLYING MEDICAL COORDINATOR
Médecins Sans Frontières , an international medical humanitarian association founded in 1971, provides medical assistance to populations whose lives are threatened: mainly in cases of armed conflict, but also epidemics, pandemics, natural disasters, or exclusion from care.
MSF WaCA (West and Central Africa) was created in 2019 and aims to bring a change in the dynamics of the MSF movement. WACA is driven by doctors and humanitarians of MSF from West and Central Africa who wish to be heard, to contribute and above all to proactively assume responsibility for the humanitarian mission of the organization. WACA reflects an identity of humanitarians, an aspiration for MSF, a truly inclusive movement of people who share the values of empathy for others. Its strength is based on associative fiber is amplified by concrete operational objectives.
We Are Looking for:
Flying Medical Coordinator
Field-based, 12 months
To fulfill its mission of assistance to victims of conflicts, epidemics, or natural disasters and support the opening of several projects/mission MSF-WaCA is about to set up a project/ mission opening Team which members are experienced individuals capable to do an exploration mission and launching and coordinating medical activities. The position of Flying medical coordinator (medical or para-medical) reports to the Head of Mission in the field during opening mission.
The candidate is expected to :
1) work in all contexts set by the Operations Department
2) have the flexibility to work in different positions including Medical Referent Project, Project Coordinator (Depending on the profile)
3) work in emergency and regular contexts with and fill gaps in regular projects depending on the needs
4) Coach / train the junior medical / paramedical teams at project / coordination level
All countries where the MSF WaCA opens activities, which require an urgent response. On call, the Flying medical coordinator should be available within 48 hours for rapid and short interventions. He/she is part of a core group of medicals, para-medicals and support staff responsible for responding to:
– Exploratory missions,
– Epidemic Outbreaks,
– Nutritional crises,
– Displaced populations and/or refugees’camps,
– Surgical emergencies
– Natural disasters
– Implementation and participation in exploratory missions and evaluations, on the request of Operation Departement.
– Definition, implementation ( or modification) of the medical strategy.
– Identification and management of the means necessary for the implementation of an intervention.
– Coordination and supervision of medical teams in the field.
– Specific reports on the interventions,
– According to the decision taken by headquaters, the flying Medical Coordinator ( medical/paramedical profile) can be asked to coordinate an activity, which in under the responsibility of a Medical Coordinator in the country where WaCA is already active.
-The flying Medical Coordinator (medical/paramedical profile) can be asked to intervene within the framework of certain MSF trainings and to take part international meetings
Pré-requis du poste
- The post is open to a person with a medical or para-medical profile
- Capacity to bring patient and public health at the chore of the operation strategy.
- Specific knowledge desired :
– Emergency public health
– Response to epidemics
– Emergency vaccinations
– Response to severely malnourished populations
– Method of investigation, epidemiological monitoring
– Significant experience in general coordination (profile Medical Coordinator, Project Medical Referent…)
– Expertise in analyses of unstable context / crises situations
– Capacity to quickly evaluate an emergency on ground and to propose an appropriate strategy of intervention
– General knowledge of MSF in emergency management .
- Fluency in French and English is essential, knowledge of local languages in the region is an added value
- Knowledge of information and communication equipment used by MSF.
- Leadership & capacity to make priorities
- Capacity of analysis of Context & program
- Capacity for coordination and organization.
- Diplomacy, broadminded spirit.
- Availability, Flexibility and mobility.
- Capacity to negotiate and make decisions
- PSP training.
- Expatriates with 24 months of field experience with MSF in a coordination role, who have had at least one mission in an emergency context with other MSF Sections.
- Field-based contract for one year, renewable.
- Per-diem on the field at the time of interventions
- Salary according to MSF experience
- Duration of the direct interventions on the field: from 4 weeks to 3 months (certain flexibility is asked in the event of needs).
- Adresse Abidjan